Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true. Leon J. Suenes

Monday 25 October 2010

BIKING- SAMUI RING ROAD

DATE: 24/10/10

DISTANCE: 31miles/50K

TIME: 3hours

TERRAIN: Samui Main Road

ELEVATION: min 0ft
max 308ft
ascent 607ft
decent -607ft

I met Ilse, Janik and Luca at 6 am on the main road outside Kingfisher restaurant. We headed around the island anti-clockwise. The first major hill you get to the boys shot off ahead, Ilse stopped and walked and I peddled on. About half way up it was getting hard so I went to take the cog down and my chain flicked off. I waited for Ilse and we walked to the top together where the boys were waiting for us. They fixed my "very well oiled' chain and set off again- not the grandest start. Mental note- learn how to change gears less aggressively.
It was a national holiday in Thailand (Buddha day) there were lots of floats, Buddhas and people to dodge on the roads. I started the bike ride with out breakfast , by the time we were in Nathon, 10 miles in, I was starving so I nipped into the market for a banana, apparently you can't buy a single banana so I ended up emerging with a bunch, we had 2 each then I put 2 in my bag for later.
The night before I'd put my camel back in the freezer but it never defrosted in time so I did half the ride with a frozen slab on my back and no water to drink- another mental note, don't freeze your water for a 3hour ride!
We stopped again in between Lamai and Chewang, 25miles in, for toilet break and another banana.
The whole ride was 6am till 09:10am including all the stops.
I got home and had muesli fruit and yogurt and then went to watch the F1 in the bar, came home did 30 length's, back out to the bar to watch the Celtic- Rangers Derby and pray for Stoke to beat ManU, then bed! All in all a full sports day so to counter act it today I'll be having a massage, painting my nails, exfoliating and doing Yoga.

No comments: